Some users do not get addicted to meth. However, others can behave differently and may have changes in their personality and behavior. When this happens, users must undergo meth addiction treatment to help them control their cravings and prevent further problems.
Understanding the process of meth addiction treatment can lead to a higher success rate of recovery. Here are the things that are important part of the rehabilitation:
The FDA has no approved medications that can be used for meth addiction treatment. However, there are studies that support the development of several medications and vaccinations that may help manage the withdrawal symptoms.
• Methylphenidate- Used for treating Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), this stimulant has been found to lower down meth cravings.
• Bupropion- An antidepressant that can stimulate cognitive function and ease withdrawal symptoms.
• Naltrexone- It is a popular opioid addiction medication that has shown a latent decrease of meth cravings and euphoric effects.
• First generation antipsychotics- These dopamine antagonists have lowered meth use of some users.
• Vaccines- There has been a study that is focused on discovering vaccines that can block meth’s side effects such as the release of dopamine that causes euphoric high.
This is the part of the meth addiction treatment, where users meet the therapist to evaluate their addiction. The medical team is also going to assess their mental and health state in order to determine the program suited for their needs.
Therapy and counseling
This involves individual and group counseling in order to treat the user’s meth addiction. The individual therapy is designed to help users deal with the causes of their addiction. They will also be instructed on various coping mechanisms to manage cravings to avoid relapse.
Group counseling is focused more on socialization as users face other recovering addicts. They share their experiences, stories and struggles of addiction. Matrix Model and Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy re the two types of meth addiction therapies.
After finishing the initial program of meth addiction treatment, a new devise plan will be prepared by the medical team. It is important that users continue the program even after the therapy to avoid relapse. Aftercare programs include group counseling, therapy, SMART Recovery and 12-step programs.
The period of Meth addiction treatment varies depending on the cost of treatment; severity of addiction; mental and health state; how fast users recover; home, work, or school duties. Some people continue to attend therapies following years of drug sobriety. Treatment is case to case, but what matters is that users get the support and care they need as they face life without drugs.